All HubSpot assets are read-only in the developer file system. Additionally, all Marketplace themes are read-only. This preserves the sanctity of these assets, which allows HubSpot and Marketplace providers to update them as necessary. If you wish to extend or customize any aspect of these assets, you can create a copy to do so.
HubSpot managed assets appear inside of the read-only
@hubspot folder in your developer file system. HubSpot maintains these assets and may add functionality or update code over time. The read-only state means you can always use the latest working version of these modules as HubSpot intended.
There are two primary types of HubSpot managed assets:
- HubSpot default themes - default themes come standard with every CMS Hub account. For example: Barricade, Education, and Martech are default themes.
- HubSpot default modules - starter modules that come standard with every CMS Hub account. For example: rich text and follow me modules are default modules.
HubSpot default themes and modules are free for you to clone and customize to fit your business needs.
Marketplace managed assets may appear in one of two marketplace folders in your developer file system.
- Themes appear in a read-only
@marketplacefolder when installed. This read-only folder ensures that Marketplace providers may update their themes in the future.
- All other assets, such as individual modules and templates, currently appear in a writable
Marketplacefolder when installed.
Marketplace providers may provide licenses that dictate the way their assets may be used, including whether they can be modified. Should a Marketplace asset not include a license, you should contact the provider to understand what dictates acceptable use.
Marketplace providers determine their own terms and conditions around providing support for user-cloned and modified versions of their assets.
Read-only assets can be cloned to solve for your specific needs by creating your own variation of the asset. Be aware that cloned assets will not be updated by HubSpot or the Marketplace. The cloned assets can be customized to suit your business needs while preserving the sanctity of the original assets.
Themes are designed to work as a cohesive package. The entire theme should be cloned as a group. Individually cloned theme assets may not function properly or render correctly on their own due to dependencies tied to other assets within the theme.
There are two ways to copy assets, using either the local development tools or the Design Manager.
Using the local development tools:
- Use the fetch command to download the asset from the
- Use the upload or watch command to upload your downloaded copy to a folder outside of the
@marketplacefolder within your HubSpot account.
Using the Design Manager:
- Navigate to the folder that contains the asset you wish to copy in the finder.
- Right click the asset's name and choose Clone [folder/theme/template/file/module]
- Set the name of your cloned copy.
It’s a good idea to use a different name and screenshot for cloned assets to help content creators identify your customized version.